This photo continues our series from the 1908 book Views of Birmingham.
Today the St. Vincent's Health System operates in several locations in addition to the large hospital complex in Birmingham's Southside. The first temporary location established in 1898 by the Sisters of Charity Hospital Association was much more modest--the home in Fountain Heights of industrialist and founder of Bessemer, Henry F. DeBardeleben.
Groundbreaking for the facility shown in this photograph took place in March 1899, and this permanent location opened on Thanksgiving Day 1900. Known as Mount Saint Vincent, the hospital was the first in Birmingham to have x-ray equipment installed.
Information about the hospital's beginnings can be found in Howard Holley's History of Medicine in Alabama (1982).
The Bhamwiki site has this postcard of the hospital in 1910: