Monday, August 26, 2024

A Goodwill Book Store in Pelham

A few months ago I visited the Goodwill donation site near our home in Pelham for the first time and found myself in a bookstore. Needless to say I have returned a few times since, usually finding some  books to purchase. I'm supposed to be downsizing my book collection, and I have done so. More books are going out than coming in these days!

You can see a few photos below. I've also included some of an old school book I found on one visit, but did not purchase. The next time I returned it was gone....

This small used bookstore is worth a visit if you are in the area. Bring some donations, too. The location opened in July 2020 in a former A&W Root Beer location. Pelham has had a few other bookstores over the years, but the only one currently operating is Goodwill. 

Over the years I've written a number of posts about Alabama used bookstores. One item described a recent visit my brother and I made to Branch Books in Hartselle. Another piece in 2017 was devoted to the late, lamented Books, Etc., also in Pelham, and a successor to Betty's Books. 









The small retail space does offer some items besides books. 








Several of the Laidlaw Basic Readers can be found on the Internet Archive.



This text was provided by the state of Alabama to schools in Franklin County. The copy seems to have been well used!






This book was copyrighted in 1940. Laidlaw Brothers of Illinois began in 1919 and was acquired by Doubleday in 1964. At one point Doubleday was the largest publisher in the U.S.














A lot of these old school books have some neat illustrations.






More about Betty's Books here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment